This is a two day course that builds on the dinghy sailing abilities gained in Stage 1. Candidates can expect to discover new skills, while building their confidence in a wide range of sailing techniques.
The content of the course will include - and is not limited to - rope work, collision avoidance and much more.
After completing this course, delegates candidates are expected to be able to track and control boat speed, while understanding basic principles and be well on the way to being a confident small boat sailor.
This Stage 2 Dinghy Sailing course is a part of the RYA's Youth Sailing Scheme and on completion delegates will receive a certificate of competence. Candidates will be assessed throughout the duration of the course and instructors will sign off each skill as they are completed.
Course content will include:
· Basic sailing skills
· Collision avoidance
Youth Sailing Scheme certificates can be of use in other areas of study or activities such as PE at school or the Duke of Edinburgh's Award Scheme.
Waterproofs and a personal floatation device can be provided if needed. Tea and coffee, a classroom and toilet facilities will be supplied.
What you need to bring
· Drysuit or wetsuit. A wetsuit can be supplied, however you will need to bring swimwear to wear underneath it
· Suitable clothing; warm clothes and waterproof footwear or footwear that you don't mind getting wet
· Towel and a change of clothes
· Weather protection; hat and gloves (winter) or hat, sunglasses and sun cream (summer)
· Packed lunch
· Candidates must have skills of Stage 1 or the completion of a Stage 1 course
· Minimum age 10