It is a basic introduction that teaches simple sailing techniques and control of a boat. It gives candidates the opportunity to experience the steering and handling of a dinghy and after completing the course, delegates are expected to be able to operate a dinghy and understand basic sailing principles.
The course will cover launching and recovery, steering, parts of the boat and basic sailing procedures. It is ideal for anyone who would like to experience what dinghy sailing has to offer. No previous experience of sailing is required.
This Youth Sailing Stage 1 course is a part of the RYA's Youth Sailing Scheme and on completion delegates will receive a certificate of competence. Candidates will be assessed throughout the duration of the course and instructors will sign off each skill as they are completed.
Course content will include:
· Launching and recovery
· Parts of the boat
· Basic sailing
Youth Sailing Scheme certificates can be of use in other areas of study or activities such as PE at school, or the Duke of Edinburgh's Award Scheme.
Waterproofs and a personal floatation device can be provided if needed. Tea and coffee, a classroom and toilet facilities will be supplied.
What you need to bring
· Drysuit or wetsuit. A wetsuit can be supplied, however you will need to bring swimwear to wear underneath it
· Suitable clothing; warm clothes and waterproof footwear or footwear that you don't mind getting wet
· Towel and a change of clothes
· Weather protection; hat and gloves (winter) or hat, sunglasses and sun cream (summer)
· Packed lunch
· Any medication you might require
· Minimum age 8