This two day dinghy sailing course teaches candidates to launch and sail a dinghy around a triangle in moderate conditions.
This course aims to teach candidates a wide range of sailing skills in dinghy sailing and builds on the knowledge gained in Stage 1 and Stage 2. It is also the equivalent to Level 2 in the National Sailing Scheme.
The course covers rigging, launching and sailing in any direction. After completion, candidates are expected to be able to launch and sail a dinghy around a triangle in moderate conditions.
This Stage 3 Dinghy Sailing course is a part of the RYA's Youth Sailing Scheme and on completion delegates will receive a certificate of competence.
The course will cover many intermediate sailing skills such as rigging, launching and sailing in different directions.
Candidates will be assessed throughout the duration of the course and instructors will sign off each skill as they are completed.
Course content will include:
· Launching and recovery
· Sailing techniques
· Capsize recovery
· Sailing theory
Youth Sailing Scheme certificates can be of use in other areas of study or activities such as PE at school or the Duke of Edinburgh's Award Scheme.
Waterproofs and a personal floatation device can be provided if needed. Tea and coffee, a classroom and toilet facilities will be supplied.
What you need to bring
· Drysuit or wetsuit. A wetsuit can be supplied, however you will need swimwear to wear underneath it
· Suitable clothing; warm clothes and waterproof footwear or footwear that you don't mind getting wet
· Towel and a change of clothes
· Weather protection; hat and gloves (winter) or hat, sunglasses and sun cream (summer)
· Packed lunch
· Any medication you might require
· Minimum age 10
· The skills of Stage 2 or the completion of a stage 2 course